Bathroom Door

You would be forgiven for thinking that we stopped building the house due to the 2 months of no updates. Things have been a little quiet but lots has happened. We thought we were just needing to blog stuff since the plumbing but just a quick read of the previous post / looking at the pictures and I realized we haven’t blogged since we put the bathroom wall in!

So – the bathroom wall. Hannah was always after a pocket sliding door but didn’t want to pay the crazy amount that they are from the shops. We thought about just making our own rail to run the door on but since it is going to be in the wall – we figured we really should have a proper cavity slider. Thankfully we got a gift voucher for Bunning for Christmas and we used that to bring the price of the cavity slider down to what we considered reasonable and paid the rest. We LOVE how smooth the door slides 🙂 I, (Hannah typing now) was worried that it may have been difficult to get the door plumb and square in with our amateur framing, but with minimal issues we were able to get it installed  pretty quickly.

Key door points:

  • Hume Evolution Cavity Slider $236 for cavity only on special order from Bunnings
  • 1980 x 710 – slightly narrower than a normal door, but barely noticeable. Meant that the door fitted better between where the kitchen bench and stairs will end up being.
  • The actual cavity was significantly taller than the 1980 door height – something that I admittedly hadn’t given much thought. This required us to either trim the cavity and door down, or raise the loft level to ~2030mm. We chose the latter.
  • Ugh, did we say it slides GLORIOUSLY?!

Water Plumbing

We decided to make the water supply system from NZ made Buteline piping.  It was really out of Buteline and copper, given both are fairly widely used in NZ. Dad already had some lengths of copper piping, and most of the tools and know how to get it done. We only needed to plumb the shower, basin and kitchen tap, but after planning the pipe lines, it appeared that using a polybutylene piping system would save a lot of joins, given its ability to flex around bends which would usually require an elbow in a copper piping system.  We drew up a list and collected the Buteline pipe and fittings, and bought the crimp tool required to join the pipe and fittings. It took roughly a day’s work to drill the framing to accommodate the pipes, cut the piping, join the piping with the fittings using the crimp tool, affix the taps and give it a water test. We did spring some leaks, but only at the wingback caps (where the taps will eventually screw on to) so that was not to worry!   We also bought and installed our gas hot water heater – a Rinnai 20VT. Well, we installed the water requirements, and await a gasfitter to come and deal to the gas! As such, we haven’t been able to test the water heater – we hope she goes!

Another post soon (hopefully) to catch you up with where we’ve actually gotten to 🙂

Leave a Reply